Allergies to Mold

Typically “fresh” air contains more mold spores than pollen grains. Mold and mold spores are in the air year-round, indoors and out.

Mold and fungi reproduce by giving off huge numbers of mold spores into the air, similar to plants releasing pollen. When mold spores are inhaled, they may trigger an allergic reaction.

Some symptoms include:
• Sneezing.
• Chronic cough.
• Runny nose.
• Nasal congestion.
• Itchy, watery and red eyes.
• Skin rashes and hives.
• Sinus headaches.
• Reduced lung capacity and difficulty breathing.

Mold and mildew growth is obvious when it grows in open. However, mold also can grow in:
• Pillows.
• Refrigerator door gaskets.
• Self-defrosting refrigerator water pans.
• Refrigerator cooling coils.
• Under-sink cabinets.
• Room air conditioner units.
• Washing machines.
• Dryer vents.
• Garbage cans.
• Carpets.
• Sheetrock and wallboard.

Having a professional test for toxic mold contamination is important. Home do-it-yourself kits are inaccurate.